Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Sithabile

Tonight our friend Sitha is leaving Bolivia to go to Mennonite World Conference in Paraguay, and then she will be returning to her home in Zimbabwe. Sitha has been our one-year YAMEN (Young Anabaptist Mennonite Exchange Network) volunteer in Centro Menno this past year. We have enjoyed her beautiful smiles, her joyful outlook on life, and learned from her commitment to and faith in God.

Even though Sitha does not speak German, except for "gen dach", she interacted with many of the conservative Colony Mennonites of Bolivia. Since she is a very open person, willing to share about her life, she was part of many interesting conversations. So many people would ask how it came to be that a girl from Africa would be working here in Bolivia, and we were able to talk about the bigger community of faith, of believers in other parts of the world who call themselves Mennonites. I'm thankful for each instance where people's eyes were opened even just a little. The colonists were also very curious about what life is like in Zimbabwe, especially the economic situation. When Sitha explains that the economic and political situation is much worse in Zimbabwe than here in Bolivia, they are very much surprised and impressed that a young, single female from such a country would come here to give of her herself and serve the people of Bolivia.

Our kids have also enjoyed getting to know Sitha, especially Kailey. I was looking for a picture of Sitha and realized that almost all of them included Kailey, even quite a few that were taken at work! It is still amazing to think about how our kids have connections with people from all around the world (their school has students from at least 16 different countries!), and it is all just part of their normal life. Sometimes I feel like telling them how rich and hugely expansive their world is (I actually do try to tell them...), but they don't get it. People tell me that one day they will appreciate all these experiences, so I am hopeful. I realize that I'm getting off topic here a bit, I'll try to stay on course.

My co-worker Irina and I were already talking about how much we are missing Sitha. She did most of the library work at Centro Menno in addition to many other tasks, and today as I was preparing new books to be put into our library it hit me once again that Sitha was no longer there. I tried to talk Taylan into helping me, but he was invited to a friend's so no luck there!

As we enter into times of change again, adjusting as some volunteers leave and others will be arriving in the coming months, I pray that we will continue to be faithful to the work God has called us to. I pray that Sitha will arrive safe and sound at home in Zimbabwe, have a joyous reunion with her family and friends (and her special friend Brian!), and continue to follow the path God calls her to. We will miss her tremendously!

Irina H, Kailey, Sitha, ElmaPosted by Picasa

No comments: